[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime - Some Comcast Extended Basic Record, Not Others

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 23:39:49 UTC 2012

On Mon, Mar 26, 2012 at 23:08, Mache Creeger <mache at creeger.com> wrote:
> My questions are:
>
> What does the channel number mean on hdhomerun_config_gui? Is it a physical
> channel that has no relationship to a Comcast virtual channel?

Correct.  That particular app (I am guessing) predates the Prime,
and works well for the clear QAM tuners where you need the
real physical channel and program number.

> What is the difference between us-cable, us-hrc, and us-irc? For Comcast in
> the San Francisco area, should I care?

Comcast in the Bay Area appears to use us-cable (no, you usually do not care).

> Does Comcast download a virtual channel map to the CableCARD? If so, could
> mine be screwed up?

Yes, the channel map is downloaded.  However, the map says
nothing about whether you are "subscribed" to the channel
(the map is for all the channels Comcast has).  As (I think)
Ron said, there are two parts to it all working.  The first
is the card activation (where the card "mates" with the tuner
and the headend authorizes the card using the magic numbers
you read to Comcast), and the second is the card has to
receive the channels you are allowed to view ("subscribed").

Since you running this on Windows, open the viewer app,
which shows the virtual channels on the (as I recall) right
part of the screen.  First, try accessing something that
is probably being broadcast in clear QAM (usually the
low channels like 2-12).  It should start displaying in
the window.  Then try accessing USA-W.  Either it will
start displaying, or after some period nothing happens,
or you get an error message about not being subscribed.
If nothing happens in about 30-60 seconds, try again
from the top (low channel, then USA-W).

If it says "not subscribed" or "encrypted", then Comcast
has not properly provisioned your card (and Ron indicated
some of the challenges).  Calling Comcast and telling
them that you are "not able to tune your subscribed
channels" usually triggers the correct next steps in
the Comcast process (they have heard those words
before).

Gary