[mythtv-users] HDHomerun Prime - Some Comcast Extended Basic Record, Not Others

Mache Creeger mache at creeger.com
Mon Mar 26 23:08:49 UTC 2012

At 06:06 PM 3/25/2012, Mike Chinander wrote:
>On Sun, Mar 25, 2012 at 7:59 PM, Ronald Frazier
><<mailto:ron at ronfrazier.net>ron at ronfrazier.net> wrote:
>>I don't have a Prime, but dealing with cablecards can be a bit
>>problematic from the aspect that cable companies are notorious for
>>having customers accounts improperly configured. Doing the grandslam
>>like you mentioned only pushes all the configuration out to the
>>cablecard. It doesn't do anything useful for you if the cable company
>>doesn't have your account properly setup in the first place.
>>
>>So, it's best to try to take as many things out of the equation as
>>possible. To this end, I believe silicondust offers a GUI video player
>>that you can use to tune and test the channels. Using this, you can
>>very quickly determine whether the problem is with the
>>prime/cablecard/provisioning or whether it's a problem with your myth
>>configuration. I'd start there and only worry about myth once you know
>>that the channels themselves are working.
>
>Ronald is correct. Try using hdhomerun_config_gui to tune and view
>(I think it just launches vlc) channels with your Prime. I think if
>you search the MythTV-users archive you will find people having
>problems getting their cablecard provisioned properly on their cable
>company account and sometimes having it removed and re-added to
>their account fixes things.

While Myth is still not functioning on my HDHomeRun Prime I seem to
have gained access to Extended Basic using the Windows version of
hdhomerun_config_gui and VLC. However, the virtual channel numbers
seem to be screwed up. When I type in channel 42 using us-cable on
hdhomerun_config_gui, I get 12 program selections in the dropbox. Not
one of them is the virtual channel 42 which is USA-W but all of them
are valid Extended Basic virtual channels that I can decrypt and view
with VLC. Accessing channel 43 using us-cable, also gives me a
selection of 12 valid Extended Basic channels, one of which (Program
7) is USA-W which I can view.

Going to the HDHomeRun Prime web page and clicking on Channel Lineup
gives a list of correct virtual channel numbers with its
corresponding channel name.

My questions are:

What does the channel number mean on hdhomerun_config_gui? Is it a
physical channel that has no relationship to a Comcast virtual channel?
What is the difference between us-cable, us-hrc, and us-irc? For
Comcast in the San Francisco area, should I care?
Does Comcast download a virtual channel map to the CableCARD? If so,
could mine be screwed up?
Assuming I have already run a scte65scan procedure per the wiki, how
can I check or repair how Myth tunes and decrypts the HDHomeRun Prime.

Thanks,

-- Mache