[mythtv-users] How to configure a HVR-1300 for analog TV

Tony Sauri hoiho.nz at gmail.com
Mon Mar 26 21:51:25 UTC 2012

On Tue, 27 Mar 2012 08:38, Thorsten Wilms wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Even after hours of trying and searching the web, I'm puzzled on how to
> set up a Hauppauge HVR-1300 for watching/recording analog cable TV.
>
> The DVB-T part is not of interest to me, for now.
>
> According to
> http://www.mythtv.org/pipermail/mythtv-users/2012-March/330475.html
> Configuring one Capture Card as IVTV MPEG encoder is part of the puzzle,
> but should that be /dev/video0 or /dev/video1?
>
> What other capture card type has to be configured and how?
>
> If this comes down to treating the card as one frame grabber and one
> encoder, how are the 2 made to talk to each other?

I have been having much the same problem ... here is what I have found

There are in fact 3 devices on the card

a) A traditional Analogue Frame Grabber /dev/video0
b) An IVTV style Analogue MPEG Encoder   /dev/video1
c) A DVB-T Capture Device		/dev/dvb/adapter? .....

Each of the Analogue devices support 3 different inputs :
	0 - TV (Antenna)
	1 - Composite
	2 - SVideo

To configure the Analogue Devices in myth-setup
	Add a new capture card  The system will choose to setup the /dev/video0
	device and seems to take sensible defaults.
	Complete any additional fields according to your requirements and "Finish"
	Add a new capture card. The system will again choose the /dev/video0
	device with the same defaults.  Now change the card type to the "IVTV MPEG
	encoder" you will get a probe failed message. Now enter the dev
	address /dev/video1 and the system will now be happy with your choices.

You get to play with the various inputs such as TV Composite at stage 4 "Input
Connections"

I am at this stage currently.  I can make the DVB_T device and analogue mpeg
encoder (TV input) to  play nicely together but when I try and get the
composite input working (Which would probably be your goal) I am currently
having difficulties.  Try making the composite the default input and do not
connect the TV and SVideo inputs to any source. I haven't tried this yet it
will be my next experiment.

See also this thread on the list:

Regards

Tony Sauri