[mythtv-users] scan for changes

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Sun Mar 25 23:07:39 UTC 2012

On 3/25/2012 18:27, Joe Mythtv wrote:
> is it possible to run a 'scan for changes' of the video library in the
> background? it can take several minutes to run so it is obtrusive to
> run everytime i upload home videos to my DVR (when family members want
> to see footage of the kids, they want it ASAP...)
> maybe there's a way to run it only for a specific directory to which I
> upload files more frequently?

With a few thousand videos spread across multiple drives and arrays,
performing a scan of the Video Library only takes me a couple seconds.
Any new content added needs to be hashed, but you're talking about
reading 64KB from the front and back of a file.  Not something time
intensive for even dozens of new files.  If you have the batch metadata
grabber enabled, that can take some time churning through the new
content, but that is run in the background and is going to turn up empty
on home videos anyway.

If your scans are taking several minutes to run each time, there is
something misconfigured on your system.  Is this content local to one of
your backends, or on a remote network share?  There is a known issue
where CIFS shares, and especially deeply nested ones, take an
inordinately long time to scan.