[mythtv-users] Remote controls on OS X (Mac Mini)

Wade Maxfield mythtv at hotblack.co.nz
Sun Mar 25 05:11:34 UTC 2012

On 24/03/2012, at 2:46 AM, Matt Wynne wrote:

> Can I make the remote work with OS X? If so, any pointers to tutorials /
> guides? I don't mind building from source as long as I know what
> incantations I need to spell out :)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,
>
> Matt
>
> [1]
> http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Installing_MythTV_on_an_Intel_Mac_Mini_using_Ubuntu

There wasn't anything available when I started a couple of years ago so I went for the easy option. Any harmony remote in conjunction with Remote Buddy.  A Harmony 200 or 300 is enough, and quite similar in size and layout to the MCE or Haupage remotes and cheap enough.  With Remote Buddy you set up the harmony remote as a set of Apple Remotes (each Apple remote has 6 or 7 buttons, and has an ID 1-255) so you can map each Harmony button to a unique Apple button/ID pair and get around the crappy 6 button limit.

 - Wade