[mythtv-users] 0 Byte recording files when starting live TV andchanging channels

Joe Nyland joe at joenyland.co.uk
Sat Mar 24 19:56:17 UTC 2012

On 24 Mar 2012, at 17:06, Michael T. Dean wrote:

> On 03/20/2012 05:52 PM, Joe Nyland wrote:
>> On 20 Mar 2012, at 16:11, Michael T. Dean wrote:
>>>
>>> Out of curiosity, can you try increasing (a lot) your tuning and signal
>>> timeouts for your capture cards in mythtv-setup.  Set them way up
>>> high--like 7000/10000ms or more--and see if you still get a "lingering"
>>> 0B file.  http://code.mythtv.org/trac/ticket/10097#comment:2
>>
>> I've just upped my timeouts to 7000/10000 as you suggested.
>>
>> I tried watching live TV from one frontend. The 0B file was there for
>> a few minutes (approx 3-5 mins), then disappeared, both from the list
>> of files and from the list of recordings in MythWeb too. Changing
>> channels did not cause a 0B file to be created. -- great...
>>
>> I closed and re-opened MythFrontend, opened live TV, 0B was not created.
>>
>> I opened live TV on another frontend, on a different channel. I'm 99%
>> sure this was the point when the 0B file was created again.
>> Unfortunately, this 0B file has not been deleted yet (after 25 minutes)
>
> And that other channel was recorded using the same card/input?
>
> How many capture cards do you have, and what types?  Are you sure you've
> increased the timeouts on all of them?  (And note that different types
> may need different timeouts).
>
> Also, please test (with various timeouts) revisions after aad0ac533
> (from about 2 days ago).
>
> Thanks,
> Mike

Hi Mike,

No, where I say:

>> I opened live TV on another frontend, on a different channel. I'm 99%
>> sure this was the point when the 0B file was created again.

...this was at the same time as watching another channel on a different mux, so this was using another physical input on my HDHR.

I have one HDHomeRun-3 (dual tuner) with the 'max recordings' set to 2 per tuner, so 4 logical tuners.

Yes, I did set the timeouts outlined above on both physical tuners in mythtv-setup. After the testing I did which I've outlined above, I then reverted my timeout settings back to the defaults so that I would get a fair test when I tested anything new on the system.

I'd been monitoring ticket #10443 so I was aware that a fix for this issue was committed by Daniel Kristjansson on 22/03/2012. As soon as a build that included this fix was available through Mythbuntu repos, I upgraded. Since then, live TV has been clearing up these 0B dummy recordings with no problems. I would therefore consider this as fixed.

Would you like me to do any further testing on it anyway to make sure?

Thanks for your time.

Joe