[mythtv-users] Configuring recording and Live TV order in 0.25beta and beyond (was Re: 0.25 and V4L not working)

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Sat Mar 24 18:43:46 UTC 2012

On 03/24/2012 02:10 PM, Anthony Messina wrote:
> Ok, I'll be recreating my capture cards later today.  Do you have any
> recommendations for ordering and/or creation based on the following:
>
> 1. SchedulesDirect Caching as I have some channels over un encrypted
> cable and others which must use the STB which is why I need the analog
> side of the HVR-2250 in the first place.
>
> 2. Tuner list as follows
>
> a. HVR-2250 (ATSC and analog)
>
> b  HDHomeRun (old style ATSC with two tuners
>
> 3.  My current tuner setup is as follows
>
>    videodevice			audiodevice	vbidevice cardtype
> 1 /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0	NULL		NULL	  DVB
> 2 /dev/dvb/adapter0/frontend0	NULL		NULL	  DVB
> 3 /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0	NULL		NULL	  DVB
> 4 /dev/dvb/adapter1/frontend0	NULL		NULL      DVB
> 5 1011DACC-0			NULL		NULL	  HDHOMERUN
> 6 1011DACC-0			NULL		NULL	  HDHOMERUN
> 7 1011DACC-1			NULL		NULL	  HDHOMERUN
> 8 1011DACC-1			NULL		NULL	  HDHOMERUN
> 9 /dev/video0			NULL		/dev/vbi0 MPEG
>

> I was thinking of adding them in the same order as above.  I do group
> #1, #2, and #9 together as they really represent the first physical
> device on the HVR-2250.  I was never able to get the analog side of the
> second adapter (video1) on the HVR-2250 to show anything other than a
> blue screen so I just don't use it.

Might want to try it, again--it may well work, now, with current drivers.

> Any advice is appreciated.  Thanks again.  -A

With 0.25beta+, the order you add capture cards and the order you
connect inputs is irrelevant.  The use order is specifically controlled
by the user via values specified in card setup.  The order cards are
used for recordings (Schedule order) can differ from the order they're
used for Live TV (Live TV order).  This allows you to set up Live TV to
use the opposite order that recordings use so that when you start Live
TV, you will start on your own input with your own tuner.  However, with
other recent fixes for changing channels in Live TV, you probably won't
need to do this.

The most important part of configuration post 0.25beta, however, is that
with the new approach, you can easily change the order just by going
into mythtv-setup and changing the recording and Live TV order values
for each of the cards--i.e. re-ordering usage doesn't require deleting
and re-creating cards.  So, add your cards in any order and connect
inputs in any order--whatever makes the most sense to you or makes the
process easiest for you--then go in and change the recording and Live TV
order as you desire.

So, as long as you properly create your capture cards, connect your
inputs, and set your input groups, all should work, and you should be
able to change order, as desired, at any point in the future by simply
changing the order settings in mythtv-setup.  The order you want will
depend on your personal prefences (i.e. which tuners give you the best
quality recordings--OTA tuners may have higher-bitrate versions than
ClearQAM/cable tuners) as well as availability type issues (i.e. you'll
want the order for STB-based recordings on the IVTV-side of the 2250
last since they will be SDTV via NTSC/baseband (=low quality) and so you
don't waste the STB recording from a channel that's available
elsewhere).  (I'm sure you know this, which is why I haven't gone into
any details on your specific setup, but I'm saying it, here,
specifically for others reading the archives who might not be familiar
with the basics.)

The specific settings to look for are:

Schedule order
If priorities and other factors are equal the scheduler will choose the
available input with the lowest, non-zero value. Setting this value to
zero will make the input unavailable to the scheduler.

Live TV order
When entering Live TV, the available, local input with the lowest,
non-zero value will be used. If no local inputs are available, the
available, remote input with the lowest, non-zero value will be used.
Setting this value to zero will make the input unavailable to live TV."));

And, again, if anyone used the 0.24-fixes and below hack to prioritize
Live TV over recordings (i.e. make Live TV start on a capture card that
was unlikely to be in use for a recording), I highly recommend going in
to the Capture Cards section of mythtv-setup and hitting the "Delete all
capture cards" (not "Delete all capture cards on <hostname>") button to
delete all capture cards.  Then, recreate capture cards and reconnect
input connections.  Doing this will not affect your Video Sources or
Channels, so you will not have to rescan for channels or anything.  This
is not required, but will simplify your configuration, making it easier
to figure out which input is which--for example, on the backend status page.

Mike