[mythtv-users] 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X

Craig Treleaven ctreleaven at cogeco.ca
Sat Mar 24 14:02:58 UTC 2012

At 1:51 PM +1100 3/24/12, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>Hi
>
>On Friday, 23 March 2012, Craig Treleaven
><<mailto:ctreleaven at cogeco.ca>ctreleaven at cogeco.ca> wrote:
>
>>  I've previously installed some of the dependencies* that blocked
>>the perl/python bindings.  My output from mythtv configure
>>(included in <http://osx-packager.pl>osx-packager.pl's output)
>>includes:
>>
>>  # Bindings
>>  bindings_perl      yes
>>  bindings_python    yes
>>  bindings_php       yes
>>

>That configure detected the dependencies has no bearing as to what
>will be packaged in the mac bundle.
>
>The perl packager knows nothing of those dependencies and they won't
>be installed.
>
>I have to add to adding those isn't going to work that easily. You
>would need a proper installer that would install the python/perl
>bindings in the required place.
>
>It would never work as a standalone mac application bundle

Hi:

Google yielded mention of py2app
<http://svn.pythonmac.org/py2app/py2app/trunk/doc/index.html>.  The
py2app documentation says:
>Packages that were explicitly included with the packages option, or
>by a recipe, will be placed in Contents/Resources/lib/python2.X/.
>A zip file containing all Python dependencies is created at
>Contents/Resources/Python/site-packages.zip.
>Extensions (which can't be included in the zip) are copied to the
>Contents/Resources/lib/python2.X/lib-dynload/ folder.

I don't think py2app is exactly what we want since our main
application is not in Python.  It, however, refers to "Dependency
resolution by modulegraph".

I see that modulegraph is already installed on my Mac:
>Name: modulegraph
>Version: 0.7.2.dev
>         modulegraph determines a dependency graph between Python
>modules primarily
>         by bytecode analysis for import statements.
>
>         modulegraph uses similar methods to modulefinder from the
>standard library,
>         but uses a more flexible internal representation, has more extensive
>         knowledge of special cases, and is extensible.

This *seems* like it might be related.  I could be completely wrong.

If this isn't the right thing, surely we could create a little app
that *only* installs the missing dependencies.  Perl, Python, bash or
even Applescript could install this stuff, no?

Metadata is a cool new feature for Myth.  I'd like to find some way
for OS X users to join the fun.

Craig