[mythtv-users] Remote controls on OS X (Mac Mini)

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Sat Mar 24 01:02:21 UTC 2012

On 24/03/2012, at 4:16 AM, mythtv-users-request at mythtv.org wrote:

> I'm trying to set up a Mac Mini as a frontend. I have everything working
> bar the remote control, and I've rather hit the wall trying to
> understand how to do it. I have a Hauppague remote that came with my DVB
> card which worked wonderfully with the Ubuntu box (which is now the
> backend).
>
>> From my research, it seems as though OS X doesn't really support any
> other remotes than the crappy Apple one, or a handful of others. I'd
> much rather use a nice remote like the Hauppague one. Is it going to be
> possible to use this remote with OS X, or am I going to need to rebuild
> the box with Ubuntu instead? From this tutorial[1] I get the impression
> that Ubuntu should be a viable option, but I'd prefer to sick with OS X
> if possible.
>
> Can I make the remote work with OS X? If so, any pointers to tutorials /
> guides? I don't mind building from source as long as I know what
> incantations I need to spell out :)
>
> Thanks in advance for any help,

In all the chit-chat about installing ubuntu on a mac-mini I've never seen HEAT mentioned!
I found the mini, IIRC throttled to 1.6G, runs so hot that it is a worry.

It seems that OSX SLEEPS the processor, at full speed, and runs cool rather than THROTTLING it. The newer 4 core mini's must be even worse.
Since this is a show stopper I cannot believe the issue is ignored?

Comment from mini users ?
James