[mythtv-users] 0.25 Metadata v. Mac OS X

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Fri Mar 23 18:35:16 UTC 2012

On 3/23/2012 14:22, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 3/23/2012 11:25, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>> C'mon you Python folks--can you lend us a hand?;)
> The Python bindings just use the standard distutils library to describe
> its components to Python, and let Python install the bindings where ever
> it wants.  If those mechanisms do not work on OSX, that is an upstream
> problem for Python to resolve, or at least not something I can do
> anything about not having an OSX machine to test on.

The bindings are just installed through that
mythtv/bindings/python/setup.py script.  You run "python setup.py build"
to tokenize them in a temporary build directory for faster loading.  You
run "python setup.py install" to install them to where ever Python
stores its libraries on OSX.  On Linux, that is
/usr/local/lib/python2.X/site-packages/.

If you are just installing directly, you may be able to get away with
just running the above command, or more correctly letting it run through
the bundled Makefile with "make install", however doing that may cause
problems if you supply a --prefix during configure.  If you are trying
to instead bundle the bindings within that redistributable .app package,
you are going to want to just build (tokenize) them, and then you're on
your own how to move those files into the app, and afterwards how to let
Python know how to find those files stored in the app.