[mythtv-users] setting so upnp playback skips commercials / uses cutlist?

Tom Lichti tom at redpepperracing.com
Fri Mar 23 13:48:35 UTC 2012

On Fri, Mar 23, 2012 at 9:35 AM, Harry Coin <hcoin at quietfountain.com> wrote:
>  On Thu Mar 22, 2012 at 06:16:24PM -0700, Gavin Hurlbut wrote:

>>> Quite simply: no.  You will need to transcode (lossless or otherwise)
>>> to actually remove the commercials from the file.
>>
>> The plan is to add (optional) auto commercial cutting to the HTTP Live
>> Streaming functionality built into mythbackend sometime.  Hopefully I can
>> get time to look at this for 0.26.  This would be playable on an Android
>> device and any other device, browser, or app supporting HTTP Live
>> Streaming.
>>
>> --
>> Chris
>>

> Mythtv popularity will gain one or two decimal points the day myth sets
> itself apart from all the rest by letting 'off the shelf' 'smart TV's',
> pods, pads and phones dlna gizmos gain access to at least some of the most
> popular current 'mythfrontend only' playback features, in fact I think 80%
> of it is accomplished when cutlists and commercial skip lists are honored.

I am by no means knowledgeable about uPnP at all, but I seem to recall
a discussion about this on the list earlier, and somebody mentioned
something about uPnP supporting 'chapters' of some sort, and that
maybe MythTV could convert a cutlist to a set of chapters, such that
you could skip the commercial chapter manually at least. Am I
mis-remembering that?

Tom