[mythtv-users] 30 second early?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 21 19:43:51 UTC 2012

On 03/21/2012 02:54 PM, Ross Boylan wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-03-21 at 10:18 -0700, Kane Tse wrote:
>>> The per-recording-rule start early/end late values are integer minutes,
>>> only--either positive or negative.  That means -1 start early will start
>>> 1 minute late.
>> For the OP - what's wrong with starting 1 minute early?
> There are two places to specify time adjustments.  One is the per
> recording rule.  I had everything start 1 minute early and end 1 minute
> late until I discovered this created conflicts, e.g., if one show ends
> at 10:01 and the other starts at 9:59 they will conflict and one of them
> won't record at all (assuming a single tuner).
>
> There is also a spot in the general setup (for some reason my
> mythfrontend is not responding now, and so I can't tell you where) that
> lets you specify start and stop headroom in seconds.  I've seen that
> referred to as "soft" times, meaning the scheduler will skip the buffer
> if it would cause a conflict.

Actually, the scheduler completely ignores the global:

Time to record before start of show (secs)
This global setting allows the recorder to start before the scheduled
start time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two
shows have been scheduled without enough time in between.

and

Time to record past end of show (secs)
This global setting allows the recorder to record beyond the scheduled
end time. It does not affect the scheduler. It is ignored when two shows
have been scheduled without enough time in between.

The "recorder" may use them.

> I'm using that, but I've seen one statement that these times don't
> control recording start at all, but only system power-up before
> recording.

Yeah, basically.  The "Time to record before start.." applies only to
first use of a tuner and "Time to record past end..." applies only to
last use of a tuner in a string of back-to-back recordings with that
tuner.  I.e. it's little more than a placebo and (as you said) should
never be expected on any recording.  If you want to record extra, you
should tell the scheduler to schedule that time and have sufficient
tuners to record what you want.

Mike