[mythtv-users] 4-digit channel change on a Comcast firewire STB (DCT-6200)

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Mar 20 17:48:00 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 20, 2012 at 17:07, lists.md301 <lists.md301 at gmail.com> wrote:
>  I was thinking of the case where <chanid> would
> NOT be unique:  because as I understand it (and
> maybe I'm wrong), it's a composite of the <sourceid>
> and channel number.

chanid is always unique (it is a primary unique key).

And while the various tools may attempt to create the
chanid from the (sourceid*1000 + channel_number),
if there is a conflict (a duplicate key error would be
received by the app), the next available chanid will
be used (an auto increment key, as I recall).  That
is why the chanid *often* looks to be helpful, and
why it does not have to be at all (the actually channum,
freqid, etc. is stored in the row and is what it used
for tuning).  That the chanid looks helpful much
of the time can cause confusion when it turns out
that it does not mean what you think it means.
It is just a number.  Treat it as no more than a
number.

Just for the record, editing the tables outside of
the supported apps voids the limited warranty
(much of the business logic is in the code(s),
and not the database, so one can really confuse
MythTV with even a few "minor" edits).

I think Mike stated that a goal of some future logging
enhancement (not resourced at this time?) would be
to insure the logging was useful to "the rest of us"
(and not just the developers), until then, I think you
are going to have to do what you suggest and look
around.

Gary