[mythtv-users] Network Control Socket

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Mon Mar 19 18:15:05 UTC 2012

On 03/18/2012 04:15 PM, Pieter De Wit wrote:

> On Sun, 18 Mar 2012, R. G. Newbury wrote:
>
>> I'm missing something but can't figure out what.
>> I'm trying to use the network control socket. The mythbox is setup in
>> the general settings to use port 6546
>>
>> Using fedora ( so it's nc not netcat) I enter:
>>
>> nc 192.168.1.96 6546  on my laptop, to try to contact the myth box.
>>
>> Nothing.
>> If I ssh into the mythbox and try 'nc -l 6546' on that end, it says 'nc:
>> Address already in use'. So myth is doing its bit.
>>
>> I then tried any number of variants of 'nc IP port' with 'jump
>> programguide' after, and with echo before, with | and>, with cat and
>> anything else I could think of.
>>
>> Nothing. I am clueless. Can someone give me a clue?
>>
>> Geoff

 > Hi Geoff,
 >
 > On the myth box, what does "netstat -lnvp | grep 6546" show ?
 >
 > Cheers,
 >
 > Pieter

netstat -lnp | grep 6546 gives nothing. Only the -v switch produces output:

netstat -lnpv | grep 6546
netstat: no support for `AF INET (sctp)' on this system.
netstat: no support for `AF IPX' on this system.
netstat: no support for `AF AX25' on this system.
netstat: no support for `AF X25' on this system.
netstat: no support for `AF NETROM' on this system.

Geoff

--
              R. Geoffrey Newbury