[mythtv-users] interactive backend start now (to upgrade database)?

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Tue Mar 13 19:12:45 UTC 2012

On 03/13/2012 01:35 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 3/13/2012 13:09, Brian J. Murrell wrote:
>> If you want to tell me that the
>> backend will go ahead and do an upgrade without confirmation if it has
>> no tty to request it on, I will accept that until I can prove otherwise
>> (not that I would be motivated to prove otherwise).
> Looking through the code, it appears the master backend will proceed
> with a schema update even if it does not have a terminal to query the
> user through.  I actually thought that behavior had been reversed.

The current behavior is that only the master backend is allowed to
upgrade the database.  Remote backends can never upgrade the database.

A master backend started:

a) as a daemon process (with -d or --daemon) (whether in an interactive
or non-interactive environment)
or
b) in a non-interactive environment (whether a daemon or non-daemon process)

will automatically upgrade the database.

A non-daemon backend started in an interactive shell (i.e. at the
command line) will prompt for upgrade--because it can, since database
upgrades are one way (and the user would have to a) notice and b) find
and restore a backup if the upgrade was not wanted).

Note that mythtv-setup can upgrade the database when run on any host in
the system, and will always prompt for upgrade (assuming you're running
current master--the GUI prompts were broken for about a year in there).

That said, when upgrading between versions, at least, (as opposed to
between close revisions of a branch), you should probably start up
mythtv-setup to upgrade your database and check to see if there's
additional setup required.

Mike