[mythtv-users] Scheduling Commerical Detection?

Brian J. Murrell brian at interlinx.bc.ca
Mon Mar 12 22:09:50 UTC 2012

On 12-03-12 12:31 PM, Dan Wilga wrote:
> Neat idea,

Thanks.

> but it would probably have to be quite a bit faster

I guess it depends on one's interpretation on "faster" (my words) and
"quite a bit faster" (your words).  But yes, we are in violent
agreement.  :-)

> than
> realtime. Don't forget that the person watching will be skipping those
> detected commercials.

Right, where here in North America (or Canada) at least amounts to about
1/3 of the time -- 10 minutes in 30 and 20 minutes in 60, so yes,
faster/quite a bit faster would mean commflagging would have to be able
to run at about 133% (I think, saying reflexively without actually doing
the logic on it).  133% is really not much.  My "AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2
Dual Core Processor 5000+" seems to report about 1200-1600fps on during
flagging but then falls back to 215-673fps when done, a single core.  In
any case, plenty to handle real-time flagging on demand and that's no
spring-chicken CPU.

Personally, I'd call 33% "faster" but not "quite a bit faster" which I
would probably reserve for 60-70% or more, but that's just arguing
semantics, which is usually a pointless argument so I'll quit now.  :-)

Slightly related, mythweb used to report on how many fps commflagging
was able to achieve in the Job Queue list but it doesn't seem to any
longer.  Maybe that's just on real-time commflagging since it will only
be as fast as it could be recorded.

Cheers,
b.