[mythtv-users] 0.25 mpeg2 lossless transcoding works again! hallelujah! except...

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 12 21:55:10 UTC 2012

On 03/11/2012 04:32 PM, Steven Adeff wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 4:25 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>>> If you're still using the old --logfile command line option (which has
>>> actually been removed in recent versions), any child processes will log
>>> to the terminal, which will be immediately discarded to /dev/null.  Make
>>> sure you're running mythbackend/mythjobqueue with --logpath or --syslog
>>> to get the child mythtranscode to log as well.  Alternatively, you
>>> should be able to read any of those missed logs through the database.
>> As for how to actually do that, there is a static page available through
>> mythweb that just displays the previous 100 entries, and a sortable and
>> searchable page available from the backend's web server.
> I am using the syslog, this is what I found in the log:
> Mar 10 17:56:00 mythbackend mythbackend[5960]: JobQueue: Transcode
> Starting for "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations":China: Autodetect
> (5.9 GB)
> Mar 10 17:56:03 mythbackend mythbackend[5960]: JobQueue: Transcode
> Errored: "Anthony Bourdain: No Reservations":China: Autodetect (exit
> status 255, job status was "Errored")
>
> is that of any help?

That's a mythbackend.log.  You need to look at mythtranscode.log.

Note, also, that depending on when you upgraded and whether your distro
had properly set up logging (as there were some permissions issues with
syslog logging in Ubuntu until recently), you may have a broken syslog
setup.  See:

http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Rsyslog_Configuration

Where you should likely be using "Simple rsyslog Configuration" and not
"Templated Logging to local7 Facility".  And the "commands to
create/update the initial log files" can be used to fix any permissions
on Ubuntu.

Mike