[mythtv-users] Setting up slave backend

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Mon Mar 12 20:24:43 UTC 2012

On 03/11/2012 08:53 PM, John Finlay wrote:
> On 03/11/2012 05:46 PM, Raymond Wagner wrote:
>> On 3/11/2012 20:23, John Finlay wrote:
>>> libdvdread: Encrypted DVD support unavailable.
>>> libdvdread: Could not open input: No such file or directory
>>> libdvdread: Can't openmyth://Videos@172.20.2.5:6543/JANE_EYRE.iso  for
>>> reading
>> Encrypted ISOs are not supported over the internal streaming protocol at
>> this time.
> The ISO is not encrypted.

If you're using libdvdcss when playing back the ISO locally, it's
encrypted.  The libdvdcss library contains code to decrypt data that was
encrypted with the Content Scrambling System, the encryption system used
on commercial DVDs to encrypt them so you can only play them with a
licensed player in the region the content owner allows.

Note, also, that libdvdcss is not a dependency for DVD playback.  It is
something a user can install outside of MythTV to decrypt ISOs before
MythTV gets the data, since MythTV can only play unencrypted
video--presuming that user is in an area of the world that allows
breaking encryption used for protection of copyrighted content.

However, libdvdcss only decrypts the data when read from the file system
locally, so--as Raymond said--encrypted ISO playback isn't supported
over the streaming protocol.  You'd need to have a "local" copy of the
ISO--meaning make it available on each frontend using NFS or whatever
and (I think, for 0.24) set up the directory with the ISOs to use local
video storage (and I think in 0.25beta, you just need to mount the
directory on the frontend and it will play it "locally").  ("I think"
because I don't use MythTV for DVD playback, so I don't know the details
of configuration.)

Mike