[mythtv-users] Poor playback performance on Mac mini

Raymond Wagner raymond at wagnerrp.com
Mon Mar 12 16:43:07 UTC 2012

On 3/10/2012 16:51, Joe Nyland wrote:
> Xeon E31230 3.2 GHz (Quad core +HT) CPU - 4 cores assigned to MythTV
> backend server

So that means MythTV has full access to the CPU?

> Recordings stored on 3 1TB Seagate drives in md RAID5

Do you have your database on this same array?  What filesystem are you
using?

>   * CPU usage is around 50% on my primary frontend when playing back
>     recordings - I'm not sure this is all MythFrontend, but it proves
>     the point that the CPU is not exhausted.

On the contrary.  It means you are using one full core of that 2.4GHz
Core 2 Duo, and hitting a wall because something is single threaded.  On
Linux, that should be sufficient for CABAC H264 content at around
12-14Mbps, which is rather high for broadcast HD, and well beyond what
you should be seeing for SD video.  Considering you are running the same
version of MythTV and OSX on the iMac, is it having similar problems?
What is the CPU usage during playback?

>   * RAM usage hovers around 2GB mark on my primary frontend.

Well that simply doesn't sound right.  Even at 1080p and an artwork
intensive theme, you shouldn't be hitting half that.  Are you reading
the resource usage, or the virtual memory allocation?