[mythtv-users] [svlug] xbmc vs mythtv-frontend

Steven Adeff adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 11 21:39:32 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 11, 2012 at 4:36 PM, Jean-Yves Avenard <jyavenard at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>

> On Monday, 12 March 2012, Steven Adeff <adeffs.mythtv at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's fair that mythfrontend is a few years behind XBMC as a user
>> interface, and it's local and streaming media playback. It seems like
>> most of the developer work goes into the backend, I actually prefer
>> this, since there is XBMC for everything else if you feel you have to
>> use it. Let the XBMC dev's create a really nice GUI for this sort of
>> thing, and the MythTV developers create a ridiculously powerful
>> backend for recording tv.
>
> I actually disagree that myth is a few years behind XBMC.
>
> Sure, XBMC has a much more fancy UI.. But capabilities-wise, mythtv can do
> more and myth has often be the first to introduce new technologies: VDPAU
> playback, DTS-HD & TrueHD digital bit streaming you name it.

perhaps in git, but as I understand it, XBMC had them in a released
version before (May 09 for XBMC, Nov 10 for MythTV). In many other
areas XBMC has come out with the "technologies" ahead as well, I
remember for a few years having XBMC as the first menu option in Myth
so I could load it for content/etc that MythTV just wasn't able to
handle.

I haven't done much with streaming content recently, but I'm
interested to see where MythNetvision is compared to XBMC, especially
now that I'll probably start running it again to be able to play
music.

but this just further shows how seemingly unwilling some of the Myth
dev's are to accept that other open source projects could be better
than mythfrontend. I believe in the past the dev's had made some
arguments as to why it did not make sense to try and make XBMC into a
full MythTV capable frontend, but now with the MythTV Services API it
seems like anything that can be done in mythfrontend could be
implemented in XBMC.

--
Steve
Before you ask, read the FAQ!