[mythtv-users] [svlug] xbmc vs mythtv-frontend

Karl Dietz dekarl at spaetfruehstuecken.org
Sun Mar 11 09:10:23 UTC 2012

On 11.03.2012 03:10, Nick Rout wrote:
> I appreciate your position on this (and that you are a myth
> developer). One problem is that XBMC has had a chequered history with
> myth support, with a number of plugins and schemes to access myth
> backends.
>
> When you multiply the number of plugins x the versions of myth's
> protocol x the number of versions of XBMC you get a lot of
> combinations. Searching their wiki or forums will give you many false
> leads. I can see why there is a temptation to ask here, where at least
> the answers will probably reflect the current version of myth's
> protocols.
>
> Anyway I have given the OP his answer - XBMC currently works with
> mythbox on eden RC2 against 0.24 backend. Probably won't for a while
> on 0.25 until the XBMC guys catch up.
>
> But anyway another approach is to use myth frontend for what it is
> good for, and have a button to start xbmc for what it is good for.
> That's what I do.

It would be nice if someone who went through all the false leads would
update the wiki to make it easier for the next person... </hint>

Looking at http://wiki.xbmc.org/?title=MythTV I see 6 variants which
all support different feature sets. But I don't see a guide that
explains how everything comes together. (do you use mythfrontend for
recordings and xbmc for everything else? Or is it better to use the
native frontend for everything but streaming content for which xbmc
seems to be ahead?)

Regards,
Karl