[mythtv-users] [svlug] xbmc vs mythtv-frontend

Gavin Hurlbut gjhurlbu at gmail.com
Sat Mar 10 22:26:39 UTC 2012

On Sat, Mar 10, 2012 at 1:07 PM, Nick Rout <nick.rout at gmail.com> wrote:
> Oops I posted before reading this. However could we please also stop
> talking about ipad, upnp, android, boxee, networked media tanks and
> anything else not running the official mythtv frontend code?
>
> I mean an  open source project with an openly published communication
> protocol should never allow discussion of other programs which may
> seek to use that protocol, or leverage the power of the backend.

Sarcasm aside: asking for help on this list running code we do not
write or have anything to do with is pointless.  We don't provide
these resources to further XBMC's development.  The original poster
wasn't asking for anything related at all to our codebase, but rather
how to use a "competing" project to access our system, given that they
haven't updated to the latest protocols...  Not our problem, ask the
people who wrote it.

Really, discussion on how to setup ipad, android, etc apps really
don't belong here either.  This list is for discussing MythTV, and as
long as there is reasonable overlap, we give a lot of leeway for being
partially off-topic.  Whoever wrote the other application should be
supporting it themselves, not depending on us and our resources.  Of
course, there is often overlap there.

All that said: the original posting isn't of that nature IMHO.  If you
want to know how XBMC works, ask *them* :)