[mythtv-users] Has MythTV bricked my HD-PVR?

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Thu Mar 8 18:09:12 UTC 2012

On 03/08/2012 09:41 AM, Michael wrote:
> On 03/07/2012 06:52 PM, Larry K wrote:
>>
>> So, I decided to run an experiment to see if this is h/w or s/w.   I
>> created a FC15 Live DVD and booted from that.  My HD-PVR is on the USB
>> bus, and I can cat from /dev/video0 without any problems.  Playback is
>> perfect.   I got all the way up to 1GB before I canceled it.  Running
>> another test now.
>>
>> Is there a known issue with FC16 and the HD-PVR?  Sure looking like it....
>>

> I have two HD-PVR's on Fedora 16 that work without issue.  There may be
> a specific issue with Fedora 16 and your hardware with the HD-PVR, but I
> wouldn't say there is a general problem with that configuration.

I spent a fair bit of time getting myth running nicely under F16. The
problems were mainly due to the fact that myth .24 let the backend run
as root, and .25 (beta) does not, plus other effects of changing to
systemd. Alone these were not a problem. My desktop at work runs F16
nicely. But the backend needs the mythtv user at least added to the
video and audio groups or a change of the ownership of the /videostore
folder. Bit of head scratching involved there, as this had never
happened before. This affects access to the hardware sockets such as
/dev/video too.

You may have a similar problem. Things are fine from the command line
when you are root but not so good when running...

Geoff