[mythtv-users] Using two EPG sources - XMLTV for TV and EIT for radio on DVB

Michael T. Dean mtdean at thirdcontact.com
Wed Mar 7 23:37:06 UTC 2012

On 03/07/2012 04:19 PM, Joe Nyland wrote:
> On 7 Mar 2012, at 14:04, John Veness wrote:

>>> Just setup your TV channels for XML-TV (use EIT unticked, xmltv-id
>>> entered), and setup the radio channels for EIT (use EIT ticked,
>>> xmltv-id blank).
>>>
>>> And make sure one of your tuners has the (something like) "Use for
>>> EIT" box ticked.
>>>
>>> It "just works".
>> Yes, you can set this up in either mythtv-setup, or as Martin Moores
>> also says, mythweb is probably easier. As well as for radio channels,
>> you can also use EIT on a few TV channels for which RT don't provide
>> listings.
>>
>> Just make sure that you don't have any channels which have *both* an
>> XMLTVID defined and useonairguide ticked. Although it sounds like a nice
>> idea, using XMLTV to get 14-day listings, and EIT to deal with last
>> minute changes, in practice Myth isn't designed to work with this setup,
>> and you'll find that some programs don't get recorded (or others get
>> recorded twice, or similar problems) due to the differences between the
>> XMLTV and EIT listings.
> Thank you for your replies - I'm having a look into it now.
>
> I'm still not 100% sure how to setup separate 'Radio' and 'TV' groups of channels, as you describe.
>
> I've setup a new 'Video source' which is set to use EIT, which is alongside my current RadioTimes XMLTV source.
>
> I'm a bit confused what to do next. Can anyone offer any pointers?

If radio and TV channels use the same tuner (are connected to the same
input), you will need a single MythTV video source.  EIT can be disabled
on a video source as a whole, or on individual channels within a video
source.  You'll want the latter approach, so that you can configure some
channels (TV channels) with an XMLTV ID and with EIT disabled, and other
channels (radio channels) with no XMLTV ID and with EIT enabled.

You can use MythTV's "Channel Groups" to limit which ones are visible to
you in the EPG or when browsing channels in Live TV.

Mike