[mythtv-users] Which nVidia card?

Jim Oltman jim.oltman at gmail.com
Tue Mar 6 21:15:49 UTC 2012

On Tue, Mar 6, 2012 at 3:02 PM, Simon Waldman <lists at firecloud.org.uk>wrote:

> As readers may know from my previous question, my system is struggling
> to decode HD shows in software. So, it may be time for a new video
> card, one that supports VDPAU.
>
> What do you recommend? Cost is important, but so is getting this
> right, and I'm prepared to pay (a bit) more if there's a good reason
> to do so. So what's the minimum card for 1080p H264, and what is the
> ideal, and what's the difference? ;-)
> (I imagine the difference might actually be with 1080i streams and
> deinterlacing?)
>
> It also needs to not be very very long, as it has to fit into a
> Shuttle case - but I imagine that depends more on the specific
> implementation rather than the chipset, so I can figure that one out
> myself...
>
> Thanks for any advice.
>
> -Simon.

This is similar to what I run.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814500222

fanless nVidia 430GT.  Does HDMI output and supports all HD Audio Codecs.
 Does the VDPAU decoding and I've had no issues (besides the standard
VDPAUBUFFERSIZE setting that will be addressed in MythTV 0.25)