[mythtv-users] Issues with 0.25

Bill Meek keemllib at gmail.com
Mon Mar 5 18:18:42 UTC 2012

On 02/27/2012 04:04 PM, Michael Watson wrote:
> On 28/02/2012 7:41 AM, Bill Meek wrote:
>> On 02/27/2012 09:30 AM, Michael Watson wrote:
>> I /think/ this is a upstart issue.

>> 1. Would you be willing to try this again without --noupnp and
>>       replacing the IFACE!=lo in /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf with
>>       IFACE=eth0 ?

> After upgrading to   2:0.25.0~master.20120227.1af1aec-0ubuntu0mythbuntu1
> last night (early this morning), the backend starts without the --noupnp
> option
> But I have made both the change anyway.   Will see how it goes.

>> 2. Also try (and this is *not* a solution, just a test) putting
>>       a sleep 5 before mythbackend in your .conf file.

Michael;

Short answer, I suggest restoring both of these to their 'stock'
values, that is, remove the sleep 5 from /etc/init/mythtv-backend.conf
and restore the IFACE!=lo test condition. If you haven't already.

Longer version. I have 24 test results and in all cases, IPv4 addresses
are available prior to the backend starting. This is true for both
cold starts and restarts.

IPv6 addresses, however, aren't guaranteed to be available for up to
2.25 seconds (I retry 250ms after a failure.) So IPv6 users need the
delay. This is only true on cold starts, and the localhost address
(::1) is always available. This is on my test backend. On my real backend,
even IPv6 addresses are always available.

One cold start's tests results: http://pastebin.com/JxCTMtKQ (some of
the addresses are fake, real ones were used in the tests.)

--
Bill