[mythtv-users] Change startup channel

Michael Watson michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au
Mon Mar 5 03:39:55 UTC 2012

On 5/03/2012 1:56 PM, Gary Buhrmaster wrote:
> On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 17:50, Michael Watson
> <michael at thewatsonfamily.id.au>  wrote:
>> MythTV as a project by developers for developers, is linux considered a
>> Developers Operating System, or a real operating system.   MythTv should
>> have stopped considering itself a "project by developers for developers"
>> around the time specific distro's like "mythbuntu", "mythdora" and the
>> like emerged.
> If you use the "Linux" model that you reference, the "RedHat"s,
> "IBM"s, and "Oracle"s which used the kernel ponied up and
> funded real developers and real bug fixes.  Those MythTV
> distros you reference have never formally funded MythTV at
> the levels that would change the priorities.  No one is opposed
> to "deep pockets" funding.  It just has not happened (except
> for around the edges, and for specific features).
Doesnt change the fact that MythTV stopped being a "Developers Video
Recorder" a looong time ago, and should (I believe) be regarded as much
more by its Developers, as many of us "users" regard it with higher
value than a "developers video recorder".
>> A mechanism to donate to MythTV could be considered, so we (the users)
>> can support further development.
> See the MythTV wiki at http://www.mythtv.org/wiki/Feature_Wishlist
> which will refer you to http://groups.google.com/group/mythtv-contractors
> for a list of people who may be willing to do for fee contract
> work (the fee/scope to be negotiated outside of this list)
Not for any particular new feature, so "users" can show appreciation,
and fund further development of existing code.