[mythtv-users] Has MythTV bricked my HD-PVR?

Larry K lunchtimelarry at gmail.com
Sun Mar 4 21:06:37 UTC 2012

On Sun, Mar 4, 2012 at 12:21 PM, Christian Szpilfogel
<chriszpml at gmail.com>wrote:

> On 03/03/2012 10:07 PM, Larry K wrote:
> > I think the problem has to be either the O/S (driver)  or the hardware
> > itself.   At this point I am not sure how to determine which.  Should
> > I try hooking the PVR up to my windows machine and capture from there?
> >  Maybe that would tell me if my Linux system is the culprit, or the
> > hardware.
> >
> > Talk about frustrating....
> I hear you. I've had issues like this in the past yet have somehow got
> through them.
>
> You may have already tries this but I did have to replace my power
> supplies on my HD-PVRs. When the power supplies were failing it would
> cause these types of issues. Double check but I think the power supply
> is 5V 2A. IIRC I swapped one out with a 5V 2.5A and the other with a 5V
> 2A both of which I happened to have lying around.

I found a 5V2A wall wart laying around, but it had the wrong size pin.   I
cut and spliced from the Hauppauge power supply, and I am testing it now.
 So far, so good.  This might just be the problem!
Many thanks for the suggestion!  I'll probably order another power supply
that isn't cut/spliced, or ask Hauppauge if they would like to comp me one.

> I've also seen the hd-pvr respond badly when they get hot.

Yes, heard that too.  Mine is near the exhaust fans in my home theater
cabinet, so I hop it stays cool enough.