[mythtv-users] Change startup channel

R. G. Newbury newbury at mandamus.org
Sun Mar 4 15:38:56 UTC 2012

On 03/04/2012 10:11 AM, Rob Davis wrote:
> On 04/03/12 04:11, Richard Morton wrote:
>> surely this should be logged as a bug?
>> Family came to visit the other day and turned on a childrens channel in
>> livetv during the day. Later on in the evening they turned on livetv
>> again and the channel was off-air. Mythfrontend just locked up. I had to
>> kill it or wait a very long time for it to fail back to the menu. Surely
>> it should be responsive and allow you to change channels at any time
>> including while tuning.
>>
>> In mythsetup you can change the startup channel but this requires
>> stopping the backend. You probably can do it through mythweb as well but
>> I have never tried and cant see an obvious db setting name.
>>
>> I have found under the frontend that I had the above issue with
>>    - DefaultTVChannel
>> but I dont think that is it cause the channel it starts up at is not the
>> set value.
>>

> In ended up going into phpmyadmin and changing the settings for
> DefaultTVChannel for all 3 of my frontends.  Changing the startup
> channel didn't work for me..
>
> Definite bug..

In the meantime, if you can ssh in, or keep an open console which you
can Alt-tab to, try this short script. Or you can modify it, to push
good channel settings for each card, without command line entries being
needed.

#!/bin/bash
# startchannel-poke : re-set the 'active' channel to one that works!
# active lines commented out for safety
Channel=abc
Card=xyz
Channel=$1
Card=$2
if [ $1 = abc ];
then
   echo "You must provide a channel number."
   exit;
fi
if [ $2 = xyz ];
then
   echo "You must provide a tuner card number."
   exit;
fi

#echo 'update cardinput set startchan = '$1' where cardinputid = '$2' >
/var/tmp/startchanfix
#mysql -u mythtv -pmythtv mythconverg < /var/tmp/startchanfix
#rm -f /var/tmp/startchanfix

Geoff