[mythtv-users] time search

James Linder jam at tigger.ws
Fri Mar 2 11:55:34 UTC 2012

G'day all

mythtv saves recordings and publishes them by uPnP
My samsung TV can see and play them
One of the samsung options is 'Time Search' allowing me to skip forward and back

All good

The uPnP server on myth does not honour the cut list
(Much fiddling: this seems to be the easiest way) I archive a show I want to DVD.
I grab newfile.mpg from ...mytharchive/work/1 as soon as it has stopped growing, save it in ...Movies and uPnP publishes the show with cut sections removed.

Again all good

When I view the Video->videoroot->whatever.file I do not have the 'Time Search' option. Watch from start to end is the only option
This is also true on stuff I created eg dvdslideshow makes files.vob which are mpeg and also cannot be 'Time Search'ed

What do I need to do to my mpg files to (presumably index them) allow Time Search

The above works well, is easy to do, but seems a bit cumbersome, yet despite my spelunking no more obvious solution presents.
I would welcome comments

I'm also somewhat confused: uPnP on the backend publishes the Videos, but none of the frontends see them (Videos - all options) are blank

Thanks
James