[mythtv-users] Has MythTV bricked my HD-PVR?

Devin Heitmueller dheitmueller at kernellabs.com
Fri Mar 2 00:55:15 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 7:49 PM, Larry K <lunchtimelarry at gmail.com> wrote:
> I recently upgraded from FC12 (myth 0.23) to FC16 (myth 0.24).  Now that
> I've got all the udev issues worked out so that /dev/video_hdpvr maps to the
> video device assigned to the HD-PVR, I am now having problems with pretty
> much any recording I attempt.  Generally, the recording will start, and then
> fail a few minutes later with messages like this:

I cannot speak to MythTV, but I can tell you it's virtually impossible
to brick your HD-PVR from software.  Hook it up to a Windows box and
it should work fine (and if it doesn't work under Windows, call
Hauppauge).

That said, I'm not downplaying the fact that your experience is
"broken" and that it's most likely a software problem with either Myth
or your OS.  I'm just saying it's extremely unlikely that the
hardware/firmware is actually damaged from anything that can be done
from Linux.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs