[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.24.2 and va-api with mplayer

jedi jedi at mishnet.org
Thu Mar 1 19:41:19 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 01, 2012 at 11:31:44PM +1100, Christopher Kerr wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 11:13 PM, Kenni Lund <kenni at kelu.dk> wrote:

> >> Lower CPU usage means less heat and less noise.
> >

> > ...less heat on the CPU cores while the higher GPU usage means more heat on
> > the GPU core...which in this case is integrated in the CPU :-P
>
> I'm pretty sure video decoding (not deinterlacing) is performed by a
> custom ASIC - yes, it's integrated into the die, but because it's
> single-purpose hardware I'd expect it to produce significantly less
> heat than a general purpose processor.

   With ION kit, I have seen lower overall heat generation when using GPU video
acceleration versus using a comparable amount of computation on the CPU. Since
the GPU is specialized hardware, the idea that it would have to "work" less
hard is not surprising. I would expect Intel kit to be the same way.

    Most efficient part doing what it's specialized to do.
    Less heat overall.
    Less need for cooling (active or passive).
    Less noise.