[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.24.2 and va-api with mplayer

Terjesen Jens Peder Jens.Peder.Terjesen at devoteam.com
Thu Mar 1 11:43:33 UTC 2012

-----Original Message-----
On 29. februar 2012 9:03 gacmb5 gacmb5 wrote:

I'm very happy with my current mythtv system (back and front end) which runs on an atom + ion board (low power, HD capable). Because there are no atom ion boards with 2 or more pci slots (as far as I
know) I had to use 3 external USB tuners which (to my opinion) consume to much power.
I'm now thinking about buying an i3 (2100T) board with 3 pci slots and under clock the system. The 2100T is very efficient (speed step), and the Intel Z68 chipsets can provide hardware decoding (va-api).
MythTV 0.25 should support this but I'm not convinced it will (and I don't want to wait to long).

There are mplayer builds with vaapi support, so how about using MythTv
(0.24 or 0.25) and configure the frontend to use mplayer with va-api support?
Why should I use the internal mythtv player? Will OSD work with an external player? What will I be missing if use an external player vs the build in player?

Thanks...