[mythtv-users] mythtv 0.24.2 and va-api with mplayer

gacmb5 gacmb5 gacmb5 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 1 09:44:42 UTC 2012

On 2012-02-29 22:34, Raymond Wagner wrote:
> On 2/29/2012 15:03, gacmb5 gacmb5 wrote:
>> I'm now thinking about buying an i3 (2100T) board with 3 pci slots and
>> under clock the system. The 2100T is very efficient (speed step), and
>> the Intel Z68 chipsets can provide hardware decoding (va-api).
>> MythTV 0.25 should support this but I'm not convinced it will (and I
>> don't want to wait to long).
>
> Why do you need VAAPI?  A 2.5GHz SB i3 should handle just about any
> video you want to throw at it in software.  MythTV 0.25 currently
> supports VAAPI, has for some time, and should be released in just over a
> month.  Should 0.25 be delayed, or VAAPI disabled or otherwise unusable
> by you for whatever reason, you still have plenty of CPU in reserve that
> it doesn't matter.

Lower CPU usage means less heat and less noise. I'm trying to make a
passively cooled system. My atom/ion system hardly creates any heat
and is almost noiseless.
That is why I think that VAAPI could help (even though the i3 can
handle it in software).

>> Why should I use the internal mythtv player? Will OSD work with an
>> external player? What will I be missing if use an external player vs
>> the build in player?
>
> MythTV has always streamed recordings from the backend.  There has never
> been, and likely never will be, external player support.  MythVideo
> added support for video streamed from the backend in 0.22, and the only
> reason external player and local file support hasn't been removed yet is
> because no one has wanted to stomach the loud complaints that would
> cause from the stragglers.  If you've taken any look at torc, one of the
> first changes was to rip out nearly all the configuration surrounding
> external players.
>
> With an external player, you get nothing.  No OSD, no jump points, no
> notifications, no IR, no network control, no snapshots.  If you are
> trying to access storage group content, MythVideo hands the external
> player the URI and expects it to know how to handle it.  The only thing
> you have when using an external player is what the external player
> provides itself.
OK, thanks. I want OSD and that MythTv remembers were I stopped
watching so now I know that the external player is no option for me.