[mythtv-users] HD-PVR color problems

Chris Kapp chris.kapp at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 23:34:53 UTC 2012

On Sat, Jun 30, 2012 at 4:14 PM, Dan Wilson
<dan_mythtv at solidstatesoftware.com> wrote:
> I recently had to re-install linux on my mythtv backend computer, which had
> been running myth 0.24 from rpmfusion. I had been running Fedora 15, which
> was approaching end-of-life anyway, so I decided to move up to Fedora 17.
>
> The new system found my HD-PVR just fine. Storing a video file using: cat
> /dev/video0 >vid.ts gets a viewable file, but there is a huge green tint to
> the picture..
>
> I remember having this problem when I first got the HD-PVR last year, and
> solved it by downgrading to firmware version 1.5.7. I verified that this
> firmware was still in the HD-PVR. I then read what I could find online, and
> decided to download firmware 1.7.3 from Hauppauge and install it from a
> windows computer, since it appeared that there was an easy fix to the
> saturation problem using v4l2-ctl.
>
> I still get the green saturation. I tried using v4l2-ctl as suggested on the
> mythtv wiki HD-PVR page, but cannot see any changes taking place as I change
> the various settings.
>
> I get the same problem in MythTv 0.24, built from a clone of the 0.24 git
> repository. I manually compiled because I didn't want to add the confusion
> of upgrading to myth 0.25 while fighting this other problem, and rpmfusion
> seems to only have 0.25.
>
>  I would try the HD-PVR on a windows computer, but can't seem to locate the
> original software disk that came with the HD-PVR. I will keep looking.
>
> System Information, just in case this helps:
>
> Fedora 17 x86_64, linux kernel is 3.4.3-1.
>
> Trimmed output from system log file when connecting the HD-PVR:
>
> kernel: [ 5074.621914] usb 1-3: Product: Hauppauge HD PVR
> kernel: [ 5074.621917] usb 1-3: Manufacturer: AMBA
> kernel: [ 5074.639623] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: firmware version 0x1e dated Mar  7
> 2012 08:25:15
> kernel: [ 5074.639629] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: untested firmware, the driver might
> not work.
> kernel: [ 5074.934383] hdpvr 1-3:1.0: device now attached to video0
>
> Has anyone seen this problem and found a solution?
>
> Thanks for your help!
>
> Dan Wilson

Hi,
I am currently on Ubuntu 11.10 with kernel 3.0.0-22 x86-64.  I've got
the latest hd-pvr firmware 1.7.1 installed in my hd-pvr.  When I start
a recording, it's all washed out.  The V412-ctl command does correct
the colours for me.  To allow my system to control the colours, I've
installed the newer vl4-dvb  device drivers.  I used the following
site to install them from source:

http://www.linuxtv.org/wiki/index.php/How_to_Obtain,_Build_and_Install_V4L-DVB_Device_Drivers

Chris K.