[mythtv-users] How to set up an input to record only one (or a small number of) channels.

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Fri Jun 29 18:36:18 UTC 2012

On Fri, Jun 29, 2012 at 10:20 AM, Nick F <nikos.f at gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm embarrassed to be asking this, having used Myth since 2006, but
> never had to set this up before.
>
> I have Comcast and three tuners - a HDHomerun Prime, a regular
> HDHomerun and an analog tuner.
>
> I'd like to set the analog tuner to record only HBO from my cable box
> (and ideally the HDHomerun to record the basic network channels).
>
> I'm not sure how to set this up.  All my channels are via cable - so I
> have only one lineup with Schedules Direct.  So - when I link my
> analog tuner to my source the analog tuner wants to be able to record
> everything (which I don't want it to do - I want it to only record HBO
> which the Prime can't do obviously).
>
> What's the missing step - I've googled, searched the wiki and the list
> archive to no avail.
>
> Thanks!
> Nick

There's a FAQ at Schedules Direct about this that refers to this:
But I think that's a stupid, labor-intensive way to do it that will
prevent you from receiving new channels as they are added and you have
to do it all over again if you make a mistake or ever change your
video source configuration at all. I have a set top box and a digital
adapter (which receives fewer channels). What I did is create a new
lineup using my same zip code and then picked a digital cable lineup
from a neighboring city that has the same channel configuration, then
deselected the channels that I can't receive on the digital adapter.
Then in mythtv-setup I added the new lineup as a video source and
associated it with the tuner input that's tied to the digital adapter.

One thing you could try that might be the simplest is just to add HBO
to your lineup, do a mythfilldatabase, then go in and delete the
channel from the hdhomerun inputs. What I don't know is if it would be
re-added to those inputs on the next mythfilldatabase (I suspect it
might). Because you have both a Prime and a HDHomeRun QAM, it might
make sense for you to use the multiple lineup method like I did.

Karl