[mythtv-users] LiveTV Stutters - Recordings are Perfect

Jeff Preston jpreston at longlines.com
Sun Jun 17 22:16:03 UTC 2012

I have not experienced the issue you have seen, but I have a fairly serious issue that may be related to the one you are seeing. Whenever I place the default storage group on a secondary hard disk or RAID array all my frontends lock up whenever I try to view LiveTV. I have checked permissions; but nothing has worked so far. If it is set to the root file system the it works fine.....

David Hofstra <dave at dhofstra.com> wrote:

Does anyone have any other thoughts, or notice something I have not tried after looking the above over?  Why/How could Recordings be so perfect, and LiveTV be so horrible????  Any suggestions appreciated.

After a week of tinkering with everything, and reading everything there is on the web to read, I may have found the solution to my problem.   Here is what I think had the impact:

1)  I put in a spare drive on the backend, and setup the master-backend to use this mounted drive as a LiveTV only drive.   (Whenever LiveTV was on my RAID5 Recordings array, or my home drive, it stutters LiveTV.)

2)  I did not NFS mount this new LiveTV drive on the frontends, forcing Myth to stream to the frontends instead of using NFS.   (Whenever I use a mounted NFS on the frontends, even with the separate LiveTV drive, then it stutters.   Streaming does not stutter LiveTV for me only if I use this separate drive without NFS mounting it.)

Hope that helps someone else.   I'm almost 1 day free of LiveTV stutters with this configuration...

Thanks,