[mythtv-users] Recovering dead database + new RAID advice

David Cunningham ml at upsilon.org.uk
Thu Jun 28 14:37:02 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I'm after some advice if anyone can help...

I have been running myth on a single partition install on a 1TB disk.

Yesterday the disk died (the disk itself seems OK but I'm getting frequent
DMA errors so I guess the controller has gone bad).

I can no longer boot off the disk due to the DMA errors but thus far I
have been able to mount it in another system and pull data off.

Can I dump the mysql db if I copy it to another system? If so how would I
go about doing this? I have used the myth dump script previously but the
last backup is from May. Can I run the dump script on another system that
I copy the DB to (that doesn't have myth installed) or is this not
possible?

Going forward I'm moving to an raid setup. I've got an SSD that I bought a
few months ago when the price crashed that I intend to use for the OS/DB
and I've just bought 3x2TB disks to use in software RAID-5 for the media
store.

What would be the recommend FS to run on the RAID?

FYI the host OS is Debian Squeeze.

Thanks!
--
Dave Cunningham                                  PGP KEY ID: 0xA78636DC