[mythtv-users] Video blanking for short periods but Audio OK

Andrew Potter drewey at internode.on.net
Wed Jun 27 23:35:29 UTC 2012

In an earlier post I reported an issue i had with my front end video
going blank intermittently for 5 - 10 seconds at a time. During the
video outage the audio remains running.

	Th issue ius still ongoing but certain steps have improved the
situation. The first step to assist was i moved from the standard
Nvidia drivers to the "nVidia Drivers post release updates", this
resulted in the issue occurring much less often, but did not relieve
the situation totally.

	When the issue occurs selecting menu or info on the remote or "M" or
"I" on a keyboard resultsin no reponse until the video comes back.
This, to me,  suggests the issue is with video ouput but happy to be
corrected. I have also seen the issue when not playing a video simply
at the menu screens though this is much, much less frequent.

	if the issue starts to occur It usually becomes frequent, i.e. every
minute or so. I then can shutdown the machine, wait 20, 30 seconds and
restart and the issue will, most of the time, disappear for the
remainder of the session. This is not always the case but happens
enouig htimes that a shutdown is now the default response.

	it has been suggested I check GPU temperatures but am unsure how to
achieve this whilst watching TV.  I am sceptical that this is the
issue, given the rstart repair works often (the temperature would not
dissipate that quickly) but would welcome suggestions on how to check
to rule this out.

	over the weekend I think I may try attaching directly to the display
temporarily to rule out Denon issues via HDMI.

	Any assistance that can be given is appreciated.

	Some configuration details are listed below.

	Front end is a Zotac IONITX A-C with 60GB SSD, output via HDMI to
Denon AVR3311 Amp then to Samsung Display

	Mythfrontend version: fixes/0.25 (v0.25.1-39-geffb32b)

	VGA compatible controller: Nvidia Corporation ION VGA (rev b1)

	nVidia 295.49

	Ubuntu 12.04 LTS      (mythbuntu)

	Linux main-Frontend 3.2.0-25-generic #40-Ubuntu SMP ... x86_64 x86_64
x86_64 GNU/Linux

	In General Palyback settings 1/8

	Enable realtime priority threads is unticked Extra Audio Buffering is
ticked as per the wiki on VDPAU.

	I have VDPAU high Quality seleected. i have tried VDPAU Normal and
VDPAU Slim but the results were very no different. High Quality seems
to work otherwise.

	Thanks in advance for a great product.

	Andrew