[mythtv-users] Mac OS X secondary backend setup problems

jrh jharbestonus at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 20:47:01 UTC 2012

On Jun 26, 2012, at 9:34 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:

> At 8:57 PM -0400 6/26/12, jrh wrote:
>> On Jun 26, 2012, at 1:26 PM, Craig Treleaven wrote:
>>> Thanks.  Where did your OS X binaries come from?  osx-packager.pl, osx-packager-qtskd.pl?  Do you know which version of Qt?
>>>
>>> Also, I'm curious about running a slave backend on OS X, if you don't mind.  Obviously, any backend could talk to the HDHR3.  Why set up the Mac as a slave as opposed to having your primary backend control the additional tuners?
>>
>> I downloaded the latest .25-fixes dmg from sourceforge for 10.7 and is dated 2012-06-05.
>> fixes/0.25 [v0.25.1] <http://www.mythtv.org>www.mythtv.org
>> Qt version: compile: 4.8.1, runtime: 4.8.1
>>
>> My objective is to use the mac slave backend only when I want mythtv to transcode and I have set up a startmyth.sh and stopmyth.sh to mount nfs/start mythbackend, and umount nfs/stop mythbackend respectively.
>>
>> My master backend is a lightweight AMD fusion processor with low power requirements and is configured to not transcode jobs. It suffices for all recording, and serving of video. I do not have any tuners configured on the Mac slave backend.
>>
>> I have the mac do an nfs mount of the /var/lib/mythtv dir structure from the mac to the master backend to read the source mpg and write the transcode file to.
>
> I think you only need to run the job queue; not a slave backend.  Was MythJobQueue.app in your download from sourceforge?  AFAIK, a backend must have tuners defined.  Also, I don't think you have to use nfs mounts but I really don't have any experience with transcoding.
>
> Craig

MythJobQueue was in the download, and I did not realize that it was independent of the backend. Interesting, I will look into it.

Looks like if you are using a secondary backend, it doesn't need tuners defined; only the primary backend does..

I did try transcoding without the nfs mount, and it failed, not creating the new/updated version of the video. It did go through the motions which was interesting, just created no new video file.  Using the nfs mount cured this problem.