[mythtv-users] OT: ffmpeg - help with poor output quality

Chris Porter hoodlum7 at gmail.com
Wed Jun 27 17:50:18 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 27, 2012 at 5:44 AM, Michelle Dupuis <mdupuis at ocg.ca> wrote:

>  I have a job setup to convert myth recordings to a format I can use on
> my blackberry.  I built this based on snippets I found around, and it seems
> to work other than the output quality is very poor (but nice and small).
> The output is grainy/blocky; can anyone suggest which parameters to tweak
> to improve quality?  Thanks
>
> ffmpeg -i "/mythstorage/recordings/1201_20120626233400.mpg" -acodec aac
> -strict experimental -ab 128k -ac 2 -vol 2560 -s 800x600 -vcodec mpeg4
> -flags +aic+mv4 -trellis 2 -cmp 2 -subcmp 2 -bufsize 20M -g 300 -metadata
> title="The Colbert Report-Richard Ford"
> "/tmp/The_Colbert_Report-Richard_Ford.mp4"

If you are running a recent version of ffmpeg at least 0.8 then you can use
the latest command line options

ffmpeg -i <input file> -acodec aac -strict experimental -ab 128k -ac 2 -s
800x600 -vcodec libx264 -profile baseline -tune film -b 600k -r 30 -level
31 -g 90 -async 2 -threads 0 <output filename>

The above line will generate h.264 video and it will look very decent and
playable on most mobile devices. the options baseline, tune, and level are
passed directly to libx264 and correspond directly to the same options in
the libx264 man pages. the option profile and level are explained in detail
here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/H.264/MPEG-4_AVC#Profiles

--
Working on World Domination since 2001