[mythtv-users] HD HomeRun Prime v HD HomeRun

David Brieck Jr. dbrieck at gmail.com
Mon Jun 25 17:36:07 UTC 2012

On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 1:27 PM, Gary Buhrmaster
<gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com>wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 25, 2012 at 5:06 PM, jr <jraymyth at gmail.com> wrote:
> > In a market where only broadcast channels are unencrypted, is there
> > any advantage to an HDHR Prime over an older HDHomeRun?
>
> Little (today).  The one advantage *might* be that if you get the Prime
> and a CableCard you would not have to do the frequency/programid
> dance (tracking changes by your provider and updating the database).
> Of course, renting the CableCard has a cost too (usually), so updating
> the database is usually cheaper.
>
> In the future, there are some proposed FCC rules that your provider
> might take advantage of so that you will need a CableCard (or STB)
> even for the broadcast channels, but that is all conjecture (both the
> FCC ruling, and whether your provider will take advantage of them).
> I would not base a purchasing decision today on what might be in
> the future (since by then, everything may be different all over again).
>
> Gary

If your provider uses SDV (Switched Digital Video) the HD Homerun won't be
able to tune all the channels.

I'm unsure if you are _required_ to use a CardCard with an SDV adapter, but
I would bet that nearly all cable companies are migrating to SDV.

My SDV adapter is about as big as a cable box, but it works perfectly with
the Prime.