[mythtv-users] Wrote Script to Power on Cable Box

James MacKenzie mst3000 at newsguy.com
Mon Jun 25 16:47:39 UTC 2012

At Mon, 25 Jun 2012 12:43:31 -0400 (EDT), you wrote
>At Mon, 25 Jun 2012 11:35:06 -0400 (EDT), you wrote
>>Don't know if checking for zero size is going to work, since a
>>continual black screen encoded into whatever video format is probably
>>going to be nonzero size.
>
>I've got a similar script, that does exactly this.  Zero size files work in my
>instance.
>
>Also, to the other poster, I use firewire to power on my cable box, and there
>is NO way to know whether the power is on or not.  It does not report the
>result properly.  The only way for me to know that it isn't working is to
>attempt to grab video and see if it's 0 bytes.
>
>Mine is a Verizon FIOS HD Motorola box.
>
>Here's my script:  (Note the use of the "power_off" command to turn it ON)

I noticed mine is using the firewire to attempt to read the input, not encode
from an HDPVR, so that would be different...also, noticed after posting that I
had some extra newlines in there...

-----

#!/usr/bin/perl

$node=`(plugreport | grep 0x3c754afffeb53c7a) 2> /dev/null`;

$node=~/^Node (\d+)/;

$node=$1;

# Attempt to record the current channel on the STB through the firewire port
system("(/usr/bin/test-mpeg2 -r $node > /tmp/$$ & VAR=\$!;sleep 1;kill \$VAR)
>/dev/null 2>/dev/null");

# If the output file is of 0 length, the box is off. Turn the box on.
if (-z "/tmp/$$")
{
system("/usr/local/bin/stb-command -n $node power_off");
}

unlink "/tmp/$$";

----