[mythtv-users] unusual trouble with skip-ahead

Jerome Yuzyk jerome at supernet.ab.ca
Fri Jun 22 01:52:24 UTC 2012

My crusty old 0.21 FE/BE setup has been as close to "appliance" as any
machine/software I've made in 30 years. It's coming up on six years old now
and starting to exhbit some odd symptoms that feel like the DB is at fault
somehow. Maybe. I run the optimize/repair thing every Sunday and it's never
reported an error. I also run a full SmartDisk scan on Sunday and it
doesn't report errors. Here are 2 curious symptoms:

I have been following the NBA finals on TSN (in Canada, they get the feed
from ESPN). I use the 30-second skip for commercials instead of
commflagging. For the last 4 games I've started watching about an hour into
the game, sometimes SkipAhead sends me to the end of the recording no
matter where I am in the recording. If I skip back and skip ahead, same
thing. I work around it by skipping back and setting a bookmark, then
exiting and reentering the recording.

Another odd thing is that occasionally for a recording pressing SkipAhead
freezes the video and chipmunks the audio. If I wait for it to get to the
end of the recording and return to the menu all is fine again. Nothing but
bookmarking (the OK button on my remote) works - I can set and clear, but
the only way to clear things up is to wait for the recording to chipmunk
its way to the end, or to kill mythfrontend and restart watching from the
bookmark.

I know the box is old, but it's been rock-solid, isn't overheating or
anything unusual, and still works fine except for these two things that
started happening within the last couple months. Anything other than "old
age" that I could look at?