[mythtv-users] scan imports not working and FiOS

John Pilkington J.Pilk at tesco.net
Tue Jun 19 14:26:02 UTC 2012

On 19/06/12 14:19, Brian Sanders wrote:

> On Tue, Jun 19, 2012 at 9:13 AM, John Pilkington <J.Pilk at tesco.net
> <mailto:J.Pilk at tesco.net>> wrote:

<snip>

>             So you are saying that importing previous scans doesn't seem
>             to work for
>             you either?  I would really like to play around with (or
>             have find
>             an explanation of) the different types of channels and
>             "transports." I
>               just can't possibly spend 2+ hours scanning for each
>             iteration I want
>             to explore.
>

>     Yes.  I haven't been able to use it.  I don't know how much code is
>     shared for DVB-T and FiOS and I really don't know how HDHR or FiOS
>     work, but in my last test I had to do a full scan, with no
>     transports defined, then delete unwanted transports and all
>     channels, and then do a linked scan of all known transports.  I
>     don't know if you could do something similar.  Prior knowledge of
>     the transport structure is a great help, and the terminal output of
>     mythtvsetup during and after a scan is informative.
>

> How do you know what an "unwanted" transport is? I guess you probably
> have more familiarity with the signiling side than I do currently.  My
> knowledge stops at... I expect QAM on my unencrypted channels... and I
> assume Transports to be different frequency ranges for the different
> channels?
>
> Also you mention a linked scan?  I have only done a full scan, and
> attempted to import a scan.  Is a linked scan another option that
> perhaps I can try?  What does it do differently?

A website lists the frequencies allocated to the transmitter that I want
- to which my antenna points.  I delete transports with frequencies not
in that list.  One of the identifiers in the scan output may be specific
to the transmitter too, but I haven't checked on that.  Maybe you should
just delete any transport that doesn't have a QAM label.

The 'linked scan' option is offered when you select 'scan all known
transports'; it's not called exactly that, but it's the option after
'ignore timeouts', which I also select.  I don't know if your transports
will use the linking concept.

So perhaps:

1. Delete all channels
2. Delete all transports
3. Full scan
4. Delete all non-QAM transports
5. Delete all channels
6. Channel scan, using 'scan all known transports', 'ignore timeout'
and 'link transports' options.
7. Examine results.  If transport list has changed repeat from step 4.
8. Download Icons.

Good luck!