[mythtv-users] correctly setting permission for /dev/video* ubuntu 12.04+myth

Allan Strand stranda at gmail.com
Thu Jun 14 13:08:11 UTC 2012

Hi All,

Ubuntu 12.04 and MythTV 0.25.1

I have a hdpvr that works fine with the exception of color balance.  As
documented multiple places, the device can be controlled with 'v4l2-ctl'
and this issue can be fixed.

So I have a bash script to change the settings using this approach that's
called by my channel change script.

Unfortunately, the script does not seem to run when channel changing,
though it does when I run from command line.

I suspect this is a permission problem, so I added mythtv (the user that
runs the backend) to the video group on this machine and verified that
group permissions on /dev/video1 (pvr-150 on video0) allow both reading and
writing.

Still there seems to be no change to the device.  Also, I'm not sure where
to find stderr output from the channel change script.  It does not seem to
appear in the mythbackend log.

Any pointers to solutions to what must be a common problem?
thanks,
allan