[mythtv-users] LiveTV Stutters - Recordings are Perfect

Karl Newman newmank1 at asme.org
Wed Jun 13 17:30:53 UTC 2012

On Wed, Jun 13, 2012 at 9:42 AM, John Morris <jmorris at beau.org> wrote:
> On Wed, 2012-06-13 at 00:50 +1000, Jean-Yves Avenard wrote:
>
>> It's a bug in 0.25, it tries by default to play way too close to the "live"
>> part. Pause your playback for a few seconds, or rewing by 10s , and all
>> those issues will be gone.
>
> Can it really be that easy?  I know it is killing the WAF for me, the
> audio glitches bother be more than her but when the frontend hangs I get
> a call at work.  I ssh in, kill mythfrontend and she grumbles about
> 'this crap is getting old'.  Btw, C-A-Backspace don't break it loose
> when it hangs, she could manage that one, only a kill from the network
> gets it back without a reboot that would hose recordings.  I'll see if I
> can get her to try the pause/unpause trick when she is going to leave it
> on a channel.

I mapped a button on my remote to a "Force Exit" script that I had to
use because xine kept hanging on exit. I happen to have a Harmony
remote but you could assign it to an unused button. I also included
mythfrontend in the script in case it had a problem. In lircrc, I
added this section:

# Force Exit button, kills everything (xine, mythfrontend)
begin
    prog = irexec
    button = KEY_RESTART
    config = /home/mythtv/mythkill.sh
end

And in /home/mythtv/mythkill.sh:

#!/bin/sh
if [[ `pgrep xine` ]]; then
  echo "Killing Xine"
  # Kill any lingering xines
  pkill xine
  sleep 2
  # No, really exit
  pkill -9 xine
else
  # Kill Mythfrontend
  echo "Killing MythTV"
  pkill mythfrontend
  sleep 2
  pkill -9 mythfrontend
fi

Note that you have to have irexec (part of the lirc package) running
to catch this event. Fortunately my wife doesn't need to use the
button much, but she's aware of it and I don't generally get calls
about that...

Karl