[mythtv-users] Strange Audio Problem 0.25

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Wed Jun 13 07:05:49 UTC 2012

Hi

On 13 June 2012 14:02, Igor Cicimov <icicimov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yep now that you mentioned it I remembered, the HDMI option was not working
> for me too. I think has something to do with the channels, format and
> sampling rate which needs to be 48KHz for the digital output (I think).

Maybe in 2008 with myth 0.21/0.22 that would have been required.
Certainly not today

> That's why you need to choose the software mixing plugin device and not the
> hardware device it self. Then the dmix plugin probably uses the hardware
> device as slave PCM.

only if you do not want digital passthrough, which with hdmi is rather
unfortunate.

It would allow you however to enjoy audio from more than one
application at a time.

But a much easier dmix configuration would then be:

pcm.!default {
   type plug
   slave.pcm "dmix:1,3"
}

where in dmix:1,3, 1 is the hardware card and 3 is the device number.
and in myth you would then use ALSA:default
as device name