[mythtv-users] MythTV and power cuts

Gary Buhrmaster gary.buhrmaster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 12 22:12:07 UTC 2012

On Tue, Jun 12, 2012 at 9:31 PM, Rajil Saraswat <rajil.s at gmail.com> wrote:
> Unfortunately, I have had to change the batteries every couple of
> months since they stop holding their power after a few cycles.

I do not have any alternatives, but make sure you are using the
correct battery type (variously called UPS, deep cycle, marine,
or rv batteries).  Many of standard SLA batteries simply do not
do well in a UPS environment when there are constant deep
cycles, and even some sold for UPS use are poor, at best
(especially some of the cheap ones).  This is especially true
if the environment is otherwise challenging (like hot or cold).
Some of the cheap batteries I have tried are really are not
worth it (and just because they are expensive, does not mean
they are good either).  My best experiences were with branded
Panasonic and Power-Sonic (PG series) UPS batteries, but
that was many years ago, and I do not know if they have gone
down the path of cheaper is better (for them).  Also, be sure
the UPS is sized right.  A too small UPS will result in a
very very high rate of discharge relative to the capacity,
resulting in much much lower battery life (those batteries
can get really hot if you try to take too much power too
quickly).

Gary