[mythtv-users] HTTP progressive download possible?

Jean-Yves Avenard jyavenard at gmail.com
Sat Jun 9 20:01:43 UTC 2012

Hi

On Saturday, 9 June 2012, George Nassas wrote:

> Am I reading this correctly? It sounds like you're trying to play streams
> with a mythfrontend & that's not the purpose of the feature.
>
> HTTP streams are meant to be played through a web browser or a custom
> client like one of the android ones coming out or that ios app that's
> occasionally mentioned here.

??
Http live streaming has never been restricted to playing only in web
browser. It's just a way to stream content. In fact for the time being; the
only web browser being able to play a m3u8 file directly is safari on ios.
Safari on a mac require the stream to be embedded in a HTML file.

Your understanding of it seems rather Incomplete.

> The underlying structure of HLS streams is they transcode video into a
> sequence of 10 second clips and your player downloads them sequentially
> unless you seek and then the player skips over to the clip you've jumped
> to. It's efficient and responsive.

 Myth frontend as of 0.25 can play video file accessed across http://;
provided they are a direct link to a media file (such as mp4, avi etc)
Seeking is possible on some file; but not all.

In 0.26; myth frontend can also play HLS stream directly.

Being able to play HLS or video file straight over http was a requirement
to fully support AirPlay video.
Unfortunately, the ability to play HLS stream wasn't done on time for the
0.25 release.